Cannabidiol (CBD) is usually the primary cannabinoid of industrial hemp and the second most prevalent cannabinoid in drug types of the cannabis plants, presented in higher concentrations in the uper third of the plant and the flowers.
Hemp with high CBD concentrations is allowed to be grown in many EU countries for the production of fiber, seeds, leaves and flowers, which can be used for the production of thousands of different products. These include paper, insulation, bio-composites, construction materials, food, feed and also pharmaceuticals.
In recent years there has been an increasing interest in the therapeutic potential of hemp derived CBD, which causes no psychotropic effects, and even in high doses does not cause relevant side effects. Only a few clinical studies have been conducted so far, but preliminary research suggests a potential therapeutic use in a large number of diseases and symptoms.
Cannabinoids, including cannabidiol are potent anti-oxidants, but CBD has anxiolitic and strong anti-inflammatory properties too. As with other cannabinoids, there are several cannabinoids of CBD type, of wich the phenolic form is meant when we talk about CBD. There are also a few pharmalogical effects of cannabidiolic acid (CBDa), which may be of therapeutic interest, mainly the anti-emetic properties of this acid form.
Among other properties CBD has the following potential uses:
- analgesic– relieves pain
- antibacterial– kills or slows bacteria growth
- antidiabetic– reduces blood sugar levels
- antiemetic– reduces vomiting and nausea
- antiepileptic– reduces seizures and convulsion
- anti-inflammatory– reduces inflammation
- anti-ischemic– reduces risk of artery blockage
- anti-prokinetic– reduces contractions in the small intestines
- antipsoriatic– treats psoriasis
- antipsychotic– tranquilizing, used to manage psychosis
- antispasmodic– suppresses muscle spasms
- anxiolytic– relieves anxiety
- bone-stimulant– promote bone growth
- neuroprotective– protect nervous system degeneration
- antiproliferative– inhibits cell growth in tumors
- immunosuppressive– reduces the immune system functions